Postdoctoral Travel Awards
Postdoctoral Travel Awards
NO EXCEPTIONS WILL BE MADE.
- November 8, 2017 by 4:00 PM EST to cover a conference attended between December 1, 2017 through June 30, 2018
- April 4, 2018 by 4:00 PM EST to cover a conference attended between May 1, 2018 through November 31, 2018
All incomplete applications will be automatically disqualified. A completed application consists of the following:
1. Completed Application Form - https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/PostdocTravelAward. See criteria below for more details.
- Contact information for (a) applicant; (b) mentor; and (c) HR/Departmental Administrator
- Scientific Abstract
- Lay Abstract
- Significance Statement
- Conference Details
- Applicant Digital Signature
2. Scanned and submitted Faculty Mentor Acknowledgement Form. See below for form.
- Obtain the necessary signatures for the Faculty Mentor Acknowledgement Form after discussing the application items with your faculty mentor.
Failure to adhere to the requirements will result in your application being automatically disqualified.
An IUSM postdoctoral trainee (as defined by University HR) presenting a paper or poster at a scientific conference, as the first author/presenting author, is eligible to apply under the eligibility requirements and restrictions indicated below:
- The IUSM postdoctoral trainee must be a postdoctoral trainee at the IUSM campus and must be designated in the IUIE system as a postdoctoral trainee (AC1 or FLP designation).
- Postdoctoral trainees who DO NOT qualify for this award include: Those with Research Associate, Visiting Scholar, Assistant Research Professor titles and any other postdoctoral designation not identified above.
- Prior awardees from the previous award cycle (Nov, April) are prohibited from applying for the next years' award cycle (Nov, April).
NOTE: Second authors may be considered under extenuating circumstances outlined in the Significance Statement, if they too are presenting.
- The research for this presentation must have been done while you were a postdoc at IUSM. You must be a current IUSM postdoctoral trainee to receive an award, and travel must be completed while you an active postdoctoral trainee at the IUSM.
- You may only submit an award application for one conference per competition. Applicants applying for more than one conference will be automatically disqualified. Award money may only be applied towards the conference cited in the application.
- You may only submit an award application for one presentation per competition. If you are giving multiple presentations at one conference, please apply with the strongest Abstract. If multiple presentations are given at one conference, it should be noted in the Significance Statement.
- Only one person can be first author and be presenting a talk or poster. We will only accept one application per presentation. Preference will be given to the applicants who are the first authors on their Abstract (see above).
- You may only apply if you will be traveling during the dates specified for the current competition.
- If you receive the award: You must show proof of attendance at the conference to receive the award. Please contact your departmental staff member to make your travel arrangements and give you instructions. The staff member should contact the Graduate Division for the account number. Please be sure to save all conference registration receipts, airline, and/or hotel receipts for any reimbursements. These will need to be submitted to the department staff making your travel arrangements.
Be sure to include ALL parts of the application and answer ALL questions. Failure to adhere to the guidelines will result in disqualification. When completing the application form, use only the space provided.
Describe the research you will be presenting, including a brief justification of your research (why this study is important), methods, and results as applicable. This section is comprised of two parts:
- Scientific Abstract: This abstract should be as close as possible to the final draft that will be submitted to the conference. The scientific abstract will be used to evaluate the postdoc’s expertise in their field and the quality of work that will be presented at the conference. This abstract should be no more than 2,000 characters - including spaces.
- Lay Abstract: Be sure to put your abstract in "layman's" terms - in most cases the abstract submitted for conference acceptance is too technical and should be rewritten. DO NOT COPY AND PASTE THE SCIENTIFIC ABSTRACT in the lay abstract box as significant points will be deducted from your score. Avoid excessive technical terms, jargon, and acronyms. The abstract submitted for the travel grant competition should be clear and understandable to any IUSM postdoctoral trainee (NOTE: Postdocs from the applicant's department will not be evaluating their application, so the abstract should be general enough for any postdoc from any biomedical science background to understand). This abstract should be no more than 2,000 characters - including spaces.
Briefly indicate the significance of your research to the research community. Describe the significance of your attendance to this conference to your career. Do not include any identifying information in the Abstract and Significance Statement responses (including lab name or PI name). The Significance Statement should be no more than 2,000 characters - including spaces.
***Please note that the Abstract and Significance Statement will be evaluated partially on the quality of the applicant's writing.***
We ask for a budget primarily to aid us in requesting funds for this travel award program to illustrate the financial need of postdoctoral trainees. This information will not be a factor in the judging of your application. If awarded, maximum travel funds will not exceed $1,000 and the amount awarded, if selected, will be based on the strength of the application.
Budget fields must be rounded to the nearest whole dollar and should include:
- Travel - Airline Ticket or Ground __ miles @ $0.535/mile for first 500 miles ($0.2675 for miles 501-3000) or OTHER (explanation required)
- Conference Registration Fee
- Lodging Costs calculated at ($__ per night x __ nights) / __ occupants
- Per diem $__ per day x __ days (See http://www.indiana.edu/~travel/traveling/perdiem.shtml for more information)
Digital Signature of Applicant
Any application that is not digitally signed by the applicant will be automatically disqualified.
Faculty Mentor Acknowledgment Form
Any application that does not contain a completed Faculty Mentor Acknowledgment Form signed by the faculty mentor will be automatically disqualified.
- lf your advisor is unavailable for an extended period of time (e.g., on sabbatical), the application form may be signed by your department head, but this should be noted on the application form.
- The judging committee consists of postdoctoral trainees from various departments in IUSM. Each application will be independently evaluated by at least 3 of these representatives.
- Applicants may not serve as judges for their own application.
- Applications will not be judged by postdocs in the same department as the applicant.
- Factors considered in judging the Abstract include a clear demonstration of the relevance of the research, content, and quality of writing. Factors considered in judging the Significance Statement include the relevance of attending this conference to your career and the overall strength of your application. Other extenuating factors will be considered in evaluating the Significance Statement.
- Note that while both the Abstracts and the Significance Statement are important, the Abstracts will be weighed more heavily in judging.
- Decisions will be rendered by the end of November and the end of April.
For more details, see the Judging Scoresheet.